Who Needs a Medical Alert System?
Not everyone needs a medical alert system in the home. For some the risks are minimal enough that they do not warrant the expense. At least they don’t merit the expense at this point in time. There are others though who will greatly benefit from the security that a medical alert system in the home provides. Who stands to benefit most from this type of system?
1) Seniors and elderly people who are living alone. These are the people who stand to benefit most from a medical alert system. When it comes to issues of the elderly and aging one of the biggest is access to emergency health care in true emergency situations. The sad truth is that most slips and falls happen in bathrooms and kitchens where phones are not always immediately accessible.
2) Senior couples. It is quite possible for an elderly man to injure himself while attempting to help an elderly woman recover from a fall. Then two people are hurt and no one has called for help. A medical alert system allows quick access to help for both of them when falls happen.
3) Young people with certain health conditions. If you need assistance with mobility, grooming, dressing, eating, preparing meals, or bathing due to a health or physical condition you are a good candidate for a medical alert system regardless of your age.
4) People who suffer from: stroke, diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), arthritis, heart failure, and osteoporosis at any age. Even if you never need to use the medical alert system it’s a good idea to have access to it. You never know when it’s going to save your life or the life of someone you love who visits your home.
5) Caretakers of invalids and infants. Even if you are in prime health falls and illnesses happen quickly and can leave you incapacitated for hours while waiting on help to arrive. If you have a medical alert system you can call for help instantly and they will arrive in a matter of minutes rather than hours to help care for you and the people who depend on you.
It may seem like a very straightforward thing or you may think that it’s for other people. The problem is that no one is immune from slips and falls. The elderly are generally at a much greater risk but there are times when even the young can benefit from having a medical alert system.